Return of the Healey - Misc. Ramblings

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Return of the Healey - Misc. Ramblings
From: "John Rose" <john@jesor.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:45:38 -0700
I have owned my 1965 BJ8 since 1971, and have gone through some major angst
during the time it was in storage (in Illinois), subsequent to my permanent
move to California last year. I am now pleased to state that not only is it
back with me (thanks in large part to Tim Kelly and his Curves Ahead Transport
company, an owner/operator that personifies professionalism and appreciation
for the marque), but the reception that it had from Kathleen.a bride of only
some 10 months, AND an aficionado of Italian cars vis-`-vis British.was enough
to make any Healey owner salivate.

Prior to the Healey's arrival last Tuesday, it appeared at some level that she
was only being "wifely" polite in her interest in the car. She has a Miata as
a daily driver, largely because the car's lines emulate those of Italian
design.and she absolutely loves Italian cars.as evidence by the 3 that she
owns, including a 1967 Fiat Dino that IS admittedly gorgeous (and that
agreement comes from a man whose first car was an MG-TD).but when it rolled
out of the back of Tim's transport, you could see her eyes light up as the
note from the exhaust broke the silence of neighborhood's early morning
slumber.

The very next day, after being engrossed in the reading old posts from this
excellent list, she was out carefully stripping paint from the right shock
tower to retrieve the faintly stamped car number (in keeping with Steve Byers
well-founded advice). This simply affirmed that her enthusiasm for the car was
on a parity with all that subscribe to this list. "She" is now the one that is
initiating plans to attend the earliest possible event (in this case, the Palo
Alto California British Car Meet in September), contacting British Heritage
for its certificate, as well as pouring through Moss catalogues as if it were
something put out by Victoria Secret. This girl is definitely jazzed.

Needless to say, I AM pleased. on all levels.

I thank the list members' indulgence for listening to my rant, but I HAD to
tell someone that "understood" the significance of it all.

I close with a couple of recommendations:

-         The Healey was restored by Tom Kovaks at Fourintune 20 years ago and
STILL looks great. That alone should attest to their expertise.

-         Curves Ahead Transport should DEFINITELY be on your short list when
considering cross country transport.

-         It appears that you do NOT have to be an evangelist for the Healey
to garner the same passion for the car that you possess, the vehicle simply
"speaks" for itself. In fact, recent events suggest that allowing some quiet
time between your significant other and the Healey to exist.sans your
involvement. a true bonding may very well occur.

Best wishes,

John

Check out the new British Cars Forum: