engine install

To: list healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine install
From: linwood rose <linwoodrose@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 07:45:39 -0400
List,
Well yesterday my son and I attempted to install the assembled engine
and gearbox into the big healey. I have a Toyota 5 speed with the
Smitty rear mounting bracket at the rear. Try as we might, we could not
get the assembly into the car. We were often very close. I think it
would have gone fine had the bracket not been at the rear. Finally
removed the gearbox at the backplate, put the motor in (although the
bolts going through the engine mount bracket on the left side aren't
lining up exactly yet), and will put the gearbox in from under the car.
Plan to rent a tranny jack for the job.

I know this is done all the time, so why was it soooo hard for us? Any
tips on this process, or just keep going with trial and error?

Thanks.

Lin Rose
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye