Re: BJ8 Oils?

To: Robert - 65BJ8 <rnbmail@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: BJ8 Oils?
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:07:10 -0700 (PDT)
Robert -

For a new motor, run non-detergent 30 WT for about 500
- 1,000 miles (you can get this at Napa or Carquest)
then switch to the 20W-50 of your choice, although I
prefer Castrol.  Synthetics like Mobil 1 are typically
too thin to work in the Healey motor, which is
designed to run with a more viscous oil.  Using Mobil
one or 10W-40 your oil pressure can run low.

For the gearbox, you should run either non-detergent
30WT (additives in multiweights like 20W-50 keep
particles in suspension, which wears out a gearbox.
multi weights also have friction reducers, which can
make shifting hard).  I have also had very good
experience with Redline MT 90 Gearbox oil, although it
is expensive stuff.  If you buy this make sure to seal
up your gearbox nice and leak free.

Regards,

Alan

--- Robert - 65BJ8 <rnbmail@yahoo.com> wrote:

> List,
>
> For a new motor and gearbox restoration, what oil is
> currently favored for each by experinced folks and
> why?  Handbook spec, or newer technology?  Mobil 1
> anybody?
>
> Thanks,
>
> =====
> Robert - 65BJ8
> rnbmail@yahoo.com
> Cell: 408-221-5244
>
> If this email message has been received by you in
> error, please contact the sender asap - Thank You.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: