Re: Engine oil quantity

To: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>
Subject: Re: Engine oil quantity
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 04:17:09 -0600
Hi Eric,

It has been my experience that some aluminum sumps are more shallow than
the originals. I would continue to fill to the original dip stick marks
using a bit less oil than original if necessary. Many aluminum sumps are
about 3/8" shallower than the originals. If possible, compare the inside
depth of the aluminum sump to the original. Note also that the pickup
screen may have to be shortened (raised) to obtain the original screen
to pan inside clearance. You don't want the screen to be hard against
the inside bottom of the sump.

My general experience is that over the years it is possible that several
dipstick lengths & tube length combinations may have been installed. The
tube may have been installed more shallow or more deeply than original.
It is sometimes quite hard to know exactly which combinations have been
installed in an older & unknown engine. If the engine does not show
signs of excessive fill level such as rapidly losing the first quart
followed by less rapid consumption, the indicated stick level is
probably correct. There is quite a margin for error with these engines
so the indicated stick level is probably in the acceptable range.

Dave Russell
BN2

Frenken, Eric wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> did an oil change on my BT7 and was wondering why the oil reached the max
>mark on the dipstick after refilling about 12.5 pints.
> Oil filter was changed as well.
> All the literature says that 15.375 pints is the correct amount of oil to be
>used.
>
> Do I have the wrong dipstick (BJ8)? Engine has aluminium sump.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Eric          BT7

Check out the new British Cars Forum: