Re: Engine oil quantity

To: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Subject: Re: Engine oil quantity
From: "M.E. & E.A. Driver" <edriver@sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:51:00 -0600
Hi Dave

The aluminium pan on my BJ8 is 5 1/2" deep while with original measures 5 15/32"
or as you stated the original is approximately 3/8 deeper. In addition the
aluminium pan is
just over 1/4" thick and the ribbing on mine is almost 1/4 ".  Thus the
aluminium
pan is approximately 3/4" shallower than the original sump.  I'm not sure of the
area of  sump area  of the aluminium one so one might calculate the reduction
in volume. Next time  I do an oil change I will.

Kind regards
Ed
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
www.vintage-sportscar-touring.ca
'65 BJ8                '89 Morgan 4/4

Dave & Marlene wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> It has been my experience that some aluminum sumps are more shallow than
> the originals. I would continue to fill to the original dip stick marks
> using a bit less oil than original if necessary. Many aluminum sumps are
> about 3/8" shallower than the originals. If possible, compare the inside
> depth of the aluminum sump to the original. Note also that the pickup
> screen may have to be shortened (raised) to obtain the original screen
> to pan inside clearance. You don't want the screen to be hard against
> the inside bottom of the sump.
>
> My general experience is that over the years it is possible that several
> dipstick lengths & tube length combinations may have been installed. The
> tube may have been installed more shallow or more deeply than original.
> It is sometimes quite hard to know exactly which combinations have been
> installed in an older & unknown engine. If the engine does not show
> signs of excessive fill level such as rapidly losing the first quart
> followed by less rapid consumption, the indicated stick level is
> probably correct. There is quite a margin for error with these engines
> so the indicated stick level is probably in the acceptable range.
>
> Dave Russell
> BN2

Check out the new British Cars Forum: