Brake Bleeding woes

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Bleeding woes
From: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:35:33 -0400
Anybody got any good tricks for Bleeding brakes?

I have a newly rebuilt master cylinder and brake cylinders. I was having a
rear brake locking syndrome until I reread Roger Moment's article from a few
years back and realized that when the manual says that you have to have the
master cylinder piston pull all the way back, That you really have to, to have
access to the bleed channel. But shortening the stock of the master cylinder
has been the only way I can get any braking. But then of course the rear
brakes start rubbing and heating up.

I've tried all the techniques I know of to adequately bleed the brakes and I
know the master cylinder holds pressure because of the brake locking
phenomenon.     I've used my little hand vacuum apparatus which just seems to
leak at the end of the hose. And I've used a container filled with some fluid
and a hose going to the bottom. I've used quick stokes and long slow stokes
and combinations of both. I get some improvement but nothing close to
acceptable.

Basically I'm getting no build up of pressure. If I pump a lot I can get some
build up and the wheels will lock but as soon as I release the pedal the next
push goes to the floor with little resistance.

Any good ideas would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Rick Neves
'56 BN-2