Citroen # 5

To: Rick Neville <healeyrick@yahoo.com>
Subject: Citroen # 5
From: "Ph.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:45:11 +0200
Rick, I hardly ever react but this time you're stepping on my long toes
(European expression). Don't know how familiar you are with Citroens and
with the DS in particular, but at the time this car hit the road way
back in 1957 or so it was way ahead of anything else in the automotive
field. Apart from the hydraulic suspension, maintaining a constant
height irrespective of load,  the load dependent brake pressure, the
wheel fixing with one central nut, the absence of a car jack and similar
technical gadgets  the body styling  was years ahead of  its
competitors. Compare that with the vehicles your industry produced in
those years and you'll understand why it gained its number 5 place. I'm
biased, I admit - I drove three or four, and presently I'm the proud
driver of one of its successors, a 1996 XM Estate, this time with
computerized hydro-pneumatic suspension. Two different suspension
characteristics, normal and sport, and depending on the driving
situation the suspension automatically changes character in 5/100 of a
second. 131,000 miles on the clock, doesn't use one drop of oil. And a
final big difference with the previous models: this one doesn't rust! In
short: don't say anything bad about Citroen.
Regards
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432
1976 BMW 75/6
1996 Citroen XM

Rick Neville wrote:

>David,
>
>Either they were looking to create some controversy or
>were smokin' something when they named the Citroen DS
>in the #5 slot.  Heck, my wife's 96 Taurus is cooler
>than one of those things.
>
>Happy Healeying,
>Rick

Check out the new British Cars Forum: