Re: BJ8 Disc Brake Knock Back

To: <gschwind@charter.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BJ8 Disc Brake Knock Back
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:11:41 -0700
Don,

This is a common phenomena in many cars with disk brakes.  Had this in my BJ8,
turned the rotors and within a couple thousand miles the clicking was back (on
one
side only ... go figure).

Lived with it for years, but since I put Ferodo semi-metallic pads in I haven't
noticed
the clicking noise.  It's possible, I suppose, that the semi-metallic pads
ground down
the high spots in the rotor, or the material is just less inclined to "stick"
to the rotor
during rotation.

There is some pretty good info at this site (recommended by a Lister a few
months ago):

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedintheory.htm

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

> Hi Listers,
>     I've identified a "clicking" sound in the left front wheel area as brake
>pad "knock-back. A very slight touch to
the brake pedal and it stops. I've torn it down, and found the rotor run-out
measured with a dial indicator is between
0.002 and 0.004 across the face. The book says that is OK (?). The pads are in
very good condition, and about 0.492 and
0.540  thick. The wheel bearings are fine, but there is a drag when assembled.
>     Is there a way to check for frozen/rusted pistons with the pads out and
>not blowing fluid all over? There was no
feeling of brake pull before, just the noise.
>     Please let me know what I might check to determine the cause of the knock.
>     Thanks in advance,
> DON    BJ8  Pandora

Check out the new British Cars Forum: