Re: Stuck in fourth

To: "Dr. Carl Rubino" <ruvino@ripnet.com>, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stuck in fourth
From: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:31:41 -0700
Carl here's my guess.

Your 3/4th shift shaft has traveled too far.  This us usually caused by
missing or worn rubber bumpers in the
recessed area in the bellhousing where the three shaft ends butt up. It
can be aggravated by worn springs and balls
that act as detents.

What has probably  happened is when the lever/shaft went too far, one or
more of the three balls and springs came
out of the gear assembly.

If it is forced hard enough the shifter forks can be bent.  If driven
this way third or forth (I don't remember which)
syncro wears out very rapidly.

Drain and pull the side cover.  If you find a ball or spring loose in
there, STOP.  You must do a complete teardown
to get it back together properly and avoid further damage.

Sorry but I bet you need to pull it out and rebuild it.  I hope I am wrong.

Tracy

Dr. Carl Rubino wrote:

>While touring on a winding road the other day I moved to shift from 4th into
>3rd and it wouldn't come out of fourth. Stoped and applied brute force to no
>avail-started off in 4th-thank god for tourque and a good clutch. Tried again
>and it shifted out of 4th with a little grinding noise. Stuck in 4th one more
>time and has been fine every since.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Carl
>BN-4(L)