Overdrive in All Gears!

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overdrive in All Gears!
From: Meemeb@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:10:20 EDT
My overdrive was working sporadically.  I replaced the overdrive  accumulator
piston housing on my 1964 BJ7 after having it resleeved and new  sealing
rings installed and also replaced the solenoid and the overdrive gear  switch.
Drove it for about 100 miles and everything worked  perfectly.  Then, for no
apparent reason the overdrive would not  disengage.  The OD switch on the dash
no
longer had any affect  and  the overdrive remains in overdrive in all gears.
I replaced the overdrive  switch on the transmission housing but it made no
difference.  The  overdrive engages on its own without flipping the toggle
switch on the  dash.  After coming to a stop, I am unable to back up until I
wait
a few  minutes for the pressure to release so that the overdrive  disengages.

I thouroughly cleaned the transmission housing around the OD casing and
valve setting lever and insured it move freely.  I adjusted the OD using  the
hole
in the valve setting lever and aligning with the hole in the OD casing  as
per the manual.

I also removed the operating valve plug, valve spring and ball valve  plunger
and operating valve, cleaned them and blew throught the operating valve  to
insure the hole was not plugged.  Then I put it all back together.

After doing these things, I put the car in fourth gear and turned on the
ignition and flipped the OD switch on the dash and the OD solenoid immediately
pulled the plunger up into the bore of the solenoid.  However the solenoid
plunger does not disengage when flipping the OD switch on the dash and
depressing the gas pedal.

What I have checked so far with my voltmeter  is:
1.  With the ignition on, I turned on the drivers' overdrive switch on  the
dash and I believe I could hear the OD relay click.
2.  I measured the voltage at terminals W1, C1 and C2 of the OD  relay and it
reads 12 volts at each of the terminals.
3.  With the transmission in 4th gear I read 12 volts on both  terminals of
the gear switch.
4.  With the transmission in 1st gear I read zero volts on the  terminals of
the gear switch.
5.  With the throttle against the throttle stops, I measured zero ohms
across the throttle switch, and as I slowly open the throttle to full throttle
opening I still measure zero ohms.

Should I try to adjust the throttle switch and if I do so will this likely
solve the problem of the overdrive always being engaged?  Or can someone
suggest another alternative to fix my problem of having overdrive in all  gears?
Bernie

Check out the new British Cars Forum: