Steering Pitman Arm Replacement/Alignment

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Steering Pitman Arm Replacement/Alignment
From: Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/XPRU <Steven.Rizzo@RANDOLPH.AF.MIL>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:52:25 -0500
Listers, I need help.  I have done something "wrong" and cannot figure out
why the problem exists and what to do about it. I removed the pitman arm
from my steering box to replace the seal while in the car. This was a pain,
but no real problem. The problem is the reassembly isn't going well. When I
put the pitman arm back on the spined shaft the wheels exhibit a marked "toe
out" - and I mean a lot. This is very visible. I cannot figure out how this
can be as I have not touched the tie rods, etc. Just the steering pitman arm
connection to the splined shaft.  The connections on the outer end of the
pitman arm were not removed. So, now I am trying to figure out what to do.
Seems like I need to get the steering wheel centered properly and slide the
pitman arm on, bolt it down, etc. and then loosen the tie rod ends and line
up the wheels as best I can and then get the front end aligned. Does this
sound right? Am I missing something here? I feel really 'stupid' because I
am betting that there is an easy explanation and "fix".....but I have
pondered on it for two days and decided to just show my ignorance (again...)
and go for it. Help! Thanks in advance.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: