RE: Headlights Kill Engine

To: "Robert C. Atkinson" <rca53@columbia.edu>,
Subject: RE: Headlights Kill Engine
From: "Neal Grotenhuis" <grotenhuis@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 06:38:03 -0400
Robert,

I recall the same symptoms when my voltage regulator died, so everything was
running off the battery.  The car ran fine as long as there was enough juice
in the battery to power the plugs, OD, lights, etc.  but since the regulator
isn't supplying the battery with the power from the generator, it eventually
drains and dies.  A jump start/charge will get you a few more miles, but the
breakdown lane is inevitable.

The fuel pump and OD don't draw as much current as lights or starter, so it
may have seemed as though you had battery, when it may have been low enough
so turning your lights on was the final straw.  This could also be caused by
a no-output generator.  Let us know what you find out...

Neal G.
61 BT7

-A few miles later, a burning smell...(could have been regulator-remove cap
and check for obvious burnt electrical smell.)
-A few miles later, the overdrive mysteriously cutsout when I decelerate and
comes back on with acceleration.  (controlled by electric relay)
-Engine dies at stop signal.  No starter, no nothing.  (Battery dead)
-Waiting for tow truck, try the ignition again and get a "click"...((Battery
dead)
-Coasting into lot, which has long downward slope, I turned on ignition,
selected reverse and popped the clutch...engine fires and runs great. (for
how long?)
-Turn on headlights, engine dies. (Battery too low for plugs AND lights)
-Repeat steps 10, 11 a few times...same result; can't start engine with
key...there seems to be battery but starter won't turnover.(Battery low
enough to click fuel pump, butnot turn starter)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: