Re: Heat shield material

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>, "Ron Fine Esq." <ronfineesq@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Heat shield material
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:19:51 -0400
I posted a note several weeks ago about a fortuitous discovery I made using
burlap impregnated in a layer of furnace refractory cement over the stock,
but hideous, Moss boards. I have run them for a couple thousand miles, and
have had no breakdown. The process is simple:

Take unstained burlap, and cut a little proud of the boards. obtain
yellow-white refractory cement which has a high silica content, but also a
good bit of white portland cement in it. The Moss boards are a good bit
thinner than original, so building them up helps. take a trowel and spread
out ~ 1/8" to 3/16" of the cement on the board. dampen the burlap, embed it
and sponge out the wringles. let dry. Apply two watered down coats of the
cement to fill in the voids of the fabric. You will keep applying until even
the high spots of the burlap coat over, but use a dampened sponge and some
water to avoid completely filling in the holes. The outcome is extremely
close to the original asbestos in appearance and the cloth texture. if you
have an old example of the heat shield, you can look for a different cloth
medium. for the 100's, the weave impressed in the asbestos from the molds is
extremely loose like burlap. I have also seen the underside virtually
smooth, and some examples with a much finer weave, e.g., canvas. Precautions
should be taken to keep the cement slurry off of counters in your wife's
kitchen. The cement hardens and is impossible to remove (trust me).

allen miller

Check out the new British Cars Forum: