Painting sequence

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Painting sequence
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:27:38 -0700
Hi folks,

Want to get some opinions on paint sequence for the Healey because I'm
planning on doing it "slightly" different than usual and wanted to get
some feedback while I still have time. The car is now in the paint
shop,  frame with body panels installed. The primer/surfacing step is
underway (it's looking great btw!). Once the exterior surfaces are in
final primer, the body panels will come off, the frame will be primed,
seam sealed and painted body color along with the inside of the body
panels. Then, instead of building up the running chassis, I plan to have
the body panels reinstalled and the final paint applied to the outside.
I would then bring the car back to my garage for mechanical assembly.

One drawback to this method, that I can see, is that the front shroud
will be on making the engine install a tighter fit (but this shouldn't
be a biggie). BTW, the rebuilt motor will be run on a test stand/dyno
for break in and sorting out so it should only need to be installed only
once (famous last words). Besides installing the vent ducting is there
anything else that will come back to bite me because the panels are on
and painted? Anything that I must install before the shrouds/panels go
on for the final time?

Cheers,
John

Check out the new British Cars Forum: