Re: Painting sequence

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Painting sequence
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:51:02 -0700
Hi Brad,

Appreciate the input.

I think there is more danger of scratching the panels when taking them
off, trying to store them (unless one has a warehouse of space which I
unfortunately don't have ;) and reinstalling them. Compounding the
difficulties, the shrouds use rivits in some areas for assembly and they
are painted over. I only want to deal with the rivits and painting once.

I received some other "off list" responses and will paraphrase for any
other interested parties and archives:

a. many experienced restorers want the engine and running gear in place
for the final panel install to get the door gaps correct. (this is the
infamous frame flex debate)

b. Install first the Blower fan and hoses before the shroud. Also
consider the throttle linkage pieces on the firewall and the wiring harness.

I will give all the above some more thought during the estimated 3 month
paint process (one man shop/multiple projects). I have talked to the
painter about loading the frame with 800 or so pounds in the
engine/transmission area with the frame supported in the suspension
areas to see if there is any measurable change in door gaps. This will
either give me peace of mind or change my approach. I will let everyone
know what happens.

Cheers,
John

Brad Weldon 55BN1 wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> How about temporarily assembling the shroud, wings, doors, etc for
> final painting? Then remove them before the assembly process. I'd be
> concerned about nicks and scratches in new/soft paint.
>
> Brad
> 55 BN1
> http://www.healey.org/

Check out the new British Cars Forum: