Re: Tricarb Idle

To: davidwjones@cox.net, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tricarb Idle
From: Simonlachlan@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:12:35 EDT
davidwjones@cox.net writes:

Have any of you tricarb-ers out there ever seen-heard-owned a tricarb  that
would idle smoothly at anything under 1200 rpm? Or is it just too much  to ask
of the rudimentary HS4 carbs?

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7  tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA

Mine would idle well enough at about 850 after I'd dicked around with  the
carbs for what felt like hours. This happy state of affairs would last for  a
short while and then she'd go "off tune" again.
Now - and I think this is the point here - I made sure that my timing  etc
was OK, before I determined that the fault lay with the carbs. I judged  these
to be in  need of a rebuild. Before I did that, I thought what pigs  those HS4s
are to work with/adjust whilst they are in situ. Also, a bit  diappointing in
the performance stakes for a three carb setup. So I bought  three old but
sound HD6s and rebuilt them. Still idles at 850, but I don't  have to keep
fiddling with it.
Simon.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: