Re: Re Cleanup

To: "Joe Farley" <Joe@farley.net>, "john spaur"
Subject: Re: Re Cleanup
From: "John Rued" <rudedoggg@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:16:31 -0500
Joe Farley's website is a secure DoD site; many of you could not access it.
Here, then is the text from the website.  Nothing classified here.  Pretty
interesting, though.
JR

Simple Green's not for Aircraft Washing
Don't use Simple Green to wash aircraft or aircraft components.
It has been brought to the attention of the AMCOM Depot Maintenance
Engineering Team that numerous units are using the commercial product SIMPLE
GREEN as an aircraft wash. STOP! This product has been through DoD testing and
was determined to be highly corrosive on aircraft aluminum. It can also be a
catalyst for hydrogen embrittlement in high strength aircraft alloys.

While it is a highly effective cleaning agent for floors and
non-aluminum/non-high strength alloy vehicles, this product is not approved
for aviation usage.
If your unit has been using SIMPLE GREEN on a regular
basis, it is recommended that a thorough fresh water wash with the approved
cleaners per the appropriate airframe maintenance manuals be accomplished as
soon as practicable. This should be followed up with a corrosion
inspection/treatment and application of approved CPCs.

Insure that no unauthorized cleaning products are being used on your aircraft
or in the shops as a component cleaner.

POC: (361)961-4041, DSN 861-4041