Re: 1960 Carb options

To: healey3000bn7@yahoo.com, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1960 Carb options
From: RAHosmer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:02:43 EST
I believe that a more common 1960 mod would have been to add a third 1.75"
HD6. Ken Rudd Engineering ("Ruddspeed") offered this, and, with a hotter (no
specs available at present) cam, some port work, and a boost in CR from 9.0 to
9.7 got 178BHP.

Given the present octane situation (he was able to use 100+) it would
probably not be wise to mill the head.

On the port polishing, stick to a light cleanup and matching, rather than
removing a great deal of metal. You'll have to use MkII intake manifolds - the
Rudd components are collector items. The MkII items will accept either 1.5" or
1.75" carbs, but the former were not used in 1960.

Even using a mild cam, such as that from the BJ8, should produce considerably
more power than a standard MkIII, I'm guessing 160-165BHP.

Another simple, and inexpensive, little trick for more acceleration would be
the installation of the 4.10 diff from a 100-6. If you don't do a lot of
highway cruising, the slightly higher RPMs won't be a problem. With OD, final
drive
is 3.37 (which is still better than the 3.54 non-OD cars). They are dogs on
the market - seems like everybody today goes the other way and puts the 3.54
into OD cars, something the factory never offered, but it cuts the revs on long
trips.

Dick Hosmer
tricarb 62BT718556