Re: Front Shroud - Original versus Reproduction

To: "Diann Jones" <diann.lindsay@xtra.co.nz>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Front Shroud - Original versus Reproduction
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 21:53:25 -0500
Diann,
The metal man I use(old fashined English panel beater) had some experience
with a repro front shroud last year. He is used to making and repairing
originals even if extensively damaged or (more often) rotted. This
particular time his customer had imported a new front shroud for a BJ8, then
called in the metal man to try to make everything work. It was quite a
nightmare.
They eventually ended up repairing the original for much less than reworking
the repro. The repro went out for sale. I don't know where it ended up.
I certainly wouldn't be trusting a repro shroud to position bulkheads, etc.
Meanwhile much the same can be said for the repro fenders I've seen. They
don't have the fullness (depth of pressing) of the originals. So far we've
always been better off using original pieces even if they require extensive
repairs.
One more thing to add re front shrouds. Visually the early 6 cylinder
roadster shroud looks the same as a Mk2 roadster but the grille opening is
in fact different. The vertical bar style grille opening is about 1/2"
taller opening. The mounting pin holes at each side on the earlier shroud go
out to the right and left while the later opening has the pin going straight
back.
The later grille will not quite fit correctly into the earlier grille
opening without a lot of cheating and reworking of the surrounding lip.
Of course with the wind up window cars (BJ7 and BJ8) the only difference is
in the side lamp configurations (small, large, 2 vs. 4).
Rich Chrysler