Disassembly progress. Carbs and Exhaust Removed

To: Healey List <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Disassembly progress. Carbs and Exhaust Removed
From: 57 Healey <57healey@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:24:52 -0600
I'm inside taking a break and thought that I would leave an update for
those who are following.

After about 2 hours of struggling, I FINALLY got the carbs and the
exhaust system off of the car.  On the Longbridge car, the bottom carb
nut and the center exhaust manifold nuts are less than an inch apart.
Neither is accessible from more than a very limited angle.

I was able to get a slightly better angle at the manifold nut.  This
still took forever as turn radius I could achieve was only slightly
better than a flat at a time.  The most fun about this was that the
rear nut decided to seize, and it came out with the stud, probably
doubling the about of turns I needed to remove it.

Next time I will remove the carb float bowls on the H4's and see if
that helps with access.  I didn't think about that option until the
exhaust was out.

What size wrench is supposed to be used on the vacuum line tap on the
rear carb?  11/32?

Also, at least on the Longbridge cars, why did the factory put "Firing
Order" on the front exhaust manifold and "1-5-3-6-2-4" on the rear
manifold if no one would be able to see them with the carbs and heat
shield on the car?

Anyway, the driver side of the engine bay is stripped except for the
mechanicals and hydraulics.  I going back down in a minute to attack
the passenger side.

Patton
--
Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX