Re: engine to stand mounting

To: <HealeyBN7@aol.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: engine to stand mounting
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:13:33 -0500
Hi Dave,
I had my 3000 tricarb engine (w/ manifolds and carbs) mounted by the rear
plate for over 2 years with no ill effects. ...It needs to be a really robust
engine stand though, because of the length of the engine. I had a really heavy
stand marketed for large V8s, but even then, I was concerned because the 3000
engine is so much longer, and therefore puts a lot of torque on the head of
the engine stand. --But it held up fine.
I arranged the mounts on the stand like this:  X    rather than like this:   +
reasoning that this put the vertical strain on four points, rather than
primarily on two points.
Others may have more sophisticated approaches and reasoning.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA