starter troubleshooting

To: "healey list" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: starter troubleshooting
From: "John Adamik" <j.adamik@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:17:33 -0500
Hello Listers,
isn't is strange how the healey knew that I was taking her for a "last of the
season" ride when she decided not to start after gassing her up.  It sounded
like the starter pinion was spinning but not engaging the flywheel.  I tapped
the solenoid, no help.  With a little help, I push started and ran fine.  Any
tips on testing the solenoid or any other suggestions?

Next, the kill switch in the boot no longer has a detent or positive "click"
like it used to (found this when I checked battery connections for starter
problem).  When I removed it, I noticed the white w/ black stripes wire that
goes to the coil no longer connected to the switch, in fact it looks like the
switch was broken some time ago where the wire connected.  What does this wire
do? It looks like it connects the coil to positive ground.  Any suggestions on
a replacement switch?

thanks for the help.
John '62 BT7