RE: Tools - was rear end growl

To: "'John Snyder'" <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>, "'Alan'"
Subject: RE: Tools - was rear end growl
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:11:46 -0500
With all due respects the heating of steering components above their lower
critical temperature in not recommended.
May be hard to visualize but the annular ring of the steering arm, where it
is pressed onto the tapered shaft is under considerable tension. Heating it
can cause a crack to form in the area which first reaches the lower critical
temperature of the steel because that area is the first to suddenly weaken
and yield to relieve the tension.
You may get away with it for years and many do...but one day......
I gave up heating any steering component after seeing the results.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com