Re: Rear Axle Seal

To: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Seal
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:12:22 -0800
Thomas:

I agree with Alan.  The o-ring seals by being properly 'squeezed' between
the hub flange and the axle flange.  The paper gasket is there basically as
a dust seal - if you coat the paper with a sealer, it could move the axle
flange outwards just a hair - hence the possibility of a leak at the o-ring.
Make sure that they are the correct thickness, and put them on dry.

As Alan suggests, it's probably a good time to change the hub seals, but it
can be a pain - one of the hub nuts is a reverse thread - the hub bearings
have to be removed and re-installed (a press is best) - in the true British
fashion of the period, the seal is 'under' the bearing, etc.  If there is no
evidence of diff lube on the back side of the hub, or on the outside of the
brake backing plate, or the shoes / drums, you may choose to defer the hub
seal replacement until a problem develops - the job can actually be done
without draining the diff oil - done it a few times!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8