RE: Bang! and then nothing

To: "'Brent Barnes'" <brentbarnes309@yahoo.com>, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Bang! and then nothing
From: Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/XPRU <Steven.Rizzo@randolph.af.mil>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:13:31 -0600
Ok, This will be a "weird" response to your question, but it is true
none-the-less.  I don't know if the "bangs" you experienced are the same as
the big bang I had happen to my BJ8 or not, but you never know.....

I was driving years ago in early evening between Atwater and Merced,
California at about 90 mph or so on the 'back route' when I heard a loud
"bang"!  Knowing something bad had happened I rapidly slowed and turned the
engine off.  When inspecting the car the only thing unusual to the eye was
that the oil dipstick was not fully in the dipstick tube and that some oil
was evident in that area.  Started the car - ran very badly...rough.
Noticed one tail pipe had no exhaust flow.....limped home - about five
miles.

After deliberation thought that perhaps the exhaust muffler had failed
internally, so I used the household drain pipe "snake" and snaked the
exhaust.  Upon fire-up the exhaust fired off a loud "boom" and lots of rust,
etc. onto the driveway, but she ran fine.  Replaced exhaust.

Now, I don't really think this is your situation, but if both mufflers
failed at the same time.....I doubt the engine would run, so one never
knows.  I will be very interested to hear what is the real story on yours!

Good luck!

Steve Rizzo