Re: engine oil

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: engine oil
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:22:50 -0800
I've never heard/seen of 20W-60 for aircraft engines (I'm a pilot and
aircraft part-owner).  100W, which is equivalent to SAE 50W, is common,
however (it's like syrup at ambient temperatures).  20W-60 is/was available
from Penrite (for autos).

I would NOT put aircraft engine oil in a car ... they have a much different
additive package--particularly for scavenging lead--that probably wouldn't
be suitable.  On average, it's quite a bit more expensive as well.

As an aside, Mobil 1, the first fully synthetic aircraft engine oil, was pulled
from the market a couple years ago.  The claim was it wouldn't scavenge lead
properly, resulting in gummed-up rings (particularly on some large-displacement
Continental engines).  Semi-syn is popular now, though.

bs