Overdrive Relay

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overdrive Relay
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:24:20 EST
In a message dated 12/22/04 11:22:26 PM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> I have a 1954 BN1 (154897).  If I leave the car in overdrive and pull up to
> stop light, one hears a clicking sound.  Switching out of overdrive makes
> the
> clicking go away.  It sounds like a run-away relay.  (No, it is not the
fuel
> pump making this clicking sound.)

If what   you're describing is a continuous clicking similar to the fuel pump
clicking at start-up, my guess would be that your solenoid -- which is the
key part in the whole system and actually has a double solenoid, with a heavy
solenoid that pushes the plunger up, and then a light solenoid that holds it
in
place when engaged -- is engaging and disengaging repeatedly. Since the
solenoid is a VERY expensive little part and isn't repairable, AFAIK, I would
strongly suggest that you find the problem (it could be something to do with
the
inertial switch unique to the early 100s, or might be something like the
solenoid
itself not working right) to see if you can fix it before you burn out the
solenoid.

Cheers
Gary Anderson