Master Cylinder

To: "Healeys" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Master Cylinder
From: "Ben Prince" <blprince2@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:54:59 -0800
I removed the brake master cylinder from my recently purchased BN1.  Many
thanks to Rick Chrysler  for his advice on how to get it out.

With the leaking master cylinder now on the work bench, I'd like to rebuild
it.  It is virtually impossible, however, to take it apart.  It looks like
someone has used JB Weld on the end cap threads, making it very difficult to
disassemble.  I have scraped away as much of the glue as possible, put the
unit  in a vice, and twisted with a big socket.  If I put any more force on
it, something will surely break.  Applying heat is the next step.  I'd
appreciate any comments on how to disassemble.

Perhaps the case is cracked and the JB Weld is an attempt to seal it.   I
suppose that applying dye penetrant would be in order if I knew where to get
it and how to apply it.  If cracked, is it possible to weld the case?

In looking at some catalogs, new complete assemblies exceed an astronomical
$350.  Any advice where I might get another master cylinder case?  A used one
would be fine.  With another case I could break open the old one and use the
internals along with a rebuild kit to get a complete assembly.

Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
Ben