6 cyl heater re assy issues

To: healey list <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 6 cyl heater re assy issues
From: joe mulqueen <joemulqueen@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:12:15 -0800 (PST)
Greetings,
I've summarized a few things while putting my heater
back together today:
1)The heater valve o-ring supplied by Moss is too
large without carefully trimming the OD.  If not done,
its easy to strip out the $8 alloy mounting bracket
threads and still never get the bracket and heater
valve to sandwich.  Also, the orig screws (with unique
slotted head) should be used with extreme care or use
longer replacements to allow needed thd engagement to
compress the moss o-ring (even after the OD trim).

2)Original heaters have a metal washer that helps
secure the bottom of the $8 bracket with the heater
box top cover.  Unmentioned in most catalogs, I
thought I could get by without it but then the heater
valve rocks slightly on the heater pipe when the
control cable is pulled.  Wont that movement
eventually cause the seal to leak?  Has anyone come up
with a replacement?

3)My repro heater ID plate purchased a few yrs back is
a very poor copy of the original (not the acid etch /
silk screen issue).  The fonts are quite smaller in
size and the boxes that locate the stampings are much
smaller and only allow tiny 1/16 stamp marks.  Anyone
recently purchase a faithful repro?

Regards,
Joe Mulqueen
60 BT7