Re: Different Healey Engine 3000 colors?

To: "scott willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Different Healey Engine 3000 colors?
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:59:16 -0500
>From the earliest Hundreds the engines were painted a medium grey/blue that
seemed to vary in shade quite a bit. According to Geoff Healey, when
production first began in mid 1953 they got some engine paint from the U.S.
military stationed in the U.K. at the time. This was the stuff geoff's been
quoted as saying they often added some white or whatever to make it go
further when necessary. hence the variations in the shade of grey/blue. For
an example of this colour replicated, check out Blair Harber's cars on Larry
Varley's site.
As near as can be determined this colour didn't last too long and by late
1953 the engines were consistently coming through with the normal "steel
dust green" we've all come to recognize as being the standard Healey engine
colour. This seemed to carry on until the end of Hundred production in the
summer of 1956.
When the all new 100/Six was introduced in late summer 1956 the six cylinder
engines were a Morris product, built and assembled at the Morris Engines
Plant. These engines quite logically were painted "Morris Engine Green", the
dark olive colour, same as the early Sprite engines. This dark green colour
remained it seems through at least the early spring of 1958, well after the
Healey final assemby had been moved from Longbridge to Abingdon in fall of
'57. There is some cross over of colours during this point in time, as there
was with a lot of items introduced and withdrawn during production runs
coming from different supply sources.
>From that point until the end of production the USUAL colour of the engines
went back to being the "steel dust green" as some folks describe it. That is
not to say that the odd engine may have made it through with some other
colour after being for instance withdrawn from the line for special
modifications, etc. for a specific order.
I'm sorry I can't be more specific but it seems we are fussing over colours,
etc, 50 years after the manufacturer wasn't really that particular about
colour as long as the unit got out the door. My above summary is from
observation, conversations with Geoff 25 years ago, and a keen interest in
this Marque's history.
Rich Chrysler