BJ8 (Smiths) Water Temperature And Oil Pressure Gauge.

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BJ8 (Smiths) Water Temperature And Oil Pressure Gauge.
From: GLWilkieAlaska@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:49:48 EST
Hi,

I have just received my Smiths Water Temperature, and Oil Pressure gauge back
from being calibrated and overhauled. It is from a BJ8, with GD1301 / 02
printed on to the face of the gauge at the 12 O'clock position.

During the overhaul, the restorer fitted a narrow flat black paper ring to
the circumference of the gauge internally, just below, and parallel to, the
glass window. This black paper ring protrudes approximately 1/8" into the gauge
(measured from the inside edge of the chrome bezel) all around. The problem I
find, is that unless I am viewing the gauge straight on, parallax error causes
the paper ring to partially obscure some of the calibration marks on the face
of the gauge.

The restorer said that the flat black paper ring is correct, as per factory
original specs for this gauge. The apparent purpose of the paper ring, is to
prevent the internal instrument lighting from disturbing the driver.

Does this sound correct to anyone?

The restorer said that he will remove the paper ring if I would like him to.
I'm not sure what to do. The reasoning sounds logical, but I don't recall
seeing this flat black paper ring on the inside of other gauges.

Any counsel would be appreciated.

Thanks, Graham Wilkie.