RE: BJ8 Help needed!

To: <GSFuqua1@aol.com>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: BJ8 Help needed!
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:44:24 -0500
Hi Gary,
I have never heard of a carbon release bearing running on the clutch
diaphragm fingers and surviving for more than a few seconds. The TR5-6 used
a clutch cover without a release bearing plate but it uses a special ball
bearing to run directly on the fingers.
I would suggest that you replace the cover rather than try to fix it. It is
a lot of work to get back in there if the "fix" doesn't work out. I seem to
remember that the release bearing plate is held in place by a ring pressed
on from the flywheel side, but I may be wrong.
There should not be a plate of any kind in the area of the pilot bush. It is
just pushed into the end of the crank. The usual method of removing it is to
thread a large tap in then pull on the tap. Alternatively you can fill the
bush with grease then get a shaft which is a tight fit into the bush, sit
the end of the shaft on the surface of the grease and give it a sharp whack
with a heavy hammer. (wear safety glasses). The bush will usually pop out.
There is usually quite a bit of side to side play in the gearbox front
shaft. It is really only restrained by a ball bearing and the needles on the
end running inside the output shaft. Once installed the shaft is supported
by the pilot bush so the play is of no consequence. If however you find
metal particles in the overdrive filter or on the magnet the needle rollers
may be breaking up and I would definitely recommend stripping the box just
to make sure all is well.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com