Transmission assembly(BJ8)

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission assembly(BJ8)
From: "James E Austin, Jr." <ahbugeye1@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:45:13 -0500
When putting the components back on the main shaft, I ran into an item
that I am not sure of and  would like some help, please.
      In the Mechanical Service Parts List, the parts illustration shows
a assembly sequence where after the bearing(rear) has been pressed on to
the main shaft a circlip(CCN120) is fitted  and then the abutment
collar-bearing is fitted in to the grove on the shaft.  After which the
abutment collar retaining ring is the final item.  My problem is, when I
press the bearing on to the shaft, there was not enough room nor a place
for the circlip to fit other than in the grove where the abutment bearing
mounts. If  you install the abutment bearing and the collar retaining
ring first, there is a grove in the shaft,  that the circlip fits into
that will holding the parts in place.  Do I have something mounted wrong
or does the circlip fit  after the collar retaining ring?

Also, With the bearing installed there is about 3/32" gap(play) between
bearing and 1st gear. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance,
Sam  Austin