Re: Door Seal , Flurex, Black: 64 BJ*

To: Healey List <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Door Seal , Flurex, Black: 64 BJ*
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:56:12 -0800
Ted / Steve / Michael:

I wrestled with this door seal retention problem awhile back.

There were 2 different door seals for the later cars (maybe others for the
earlier cars).  The later 6 cyl. roadsters had a door seal with a smaller
'bulb' than the convertibles (which in turn had a smaller 'bulb' than the
convertible top seal, as Steve pointed out).  I guess this had to do with
the positioning of the door upholstery panel relative to the body sill -
seems to have been a bit of a larger gap on the convertibles, so they fixed
it with a larger 'bulb'.

The other factor here (both early and late cars:)  the inner aluminum sill
trim plate, the one that goes on over the carpet on the inside of the sill,
retains the lower part of the door seal when it's properly installed - it's
upper lip is supposed to trap the 'fuzzy' part of the seal assembly.  Many
Healeys that I have seen over the years don't have this done right.

Once I made this discovery and corrected the condition on both cars, the
problem of the seal coming adrift was mostly solved.  I say mostly because
the lower area of the front of the door opening - the part that we all drag
our feet over when getting in and out will still need some tweaking,
kinking, and much discussion (and beer) to get it to stay in place.

The guy that seems to have the 'correct' rubber bits most consistently (the
place where I got my stuff for both cars) is Martin MacGregor of MacGregor
UK Car Parts, www.macgregorukcarparts.com  in Dundas, Ontario.  I notice
that only one seal is available for all later cars at this point - it's
probably a matter of what is being manufactured now.

Digital pics of the tri-carb with everything installed correctly are
possible on request - the BJ8 is not yet assembled, but the principle is the
same for both cars.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb