RE: Gear Reduction Starter

To: "Healeys Mail List" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Gear Reduction Starter
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:49:31 -0800
Tom:  I installed one last year.  Only had three minor problems.  First, I
couldn't get it to go into the hole.  After a bit of frustration, I
discovered that the starter was hitting the bracket holding the metal
clutch line at the frame.  A little careful bending of the bracket solved
that one. Second, the bottom nut and bolt holding the old starter was
installed so that the head of the bolt was toward the front of the engine.
This had to be turned around so that the nut, which is thinner than the
head of the bolt, would fit between the starter and its mounting plate.
Finally, I hooked it up incorrectly electrically.  The solenoid was
clicking but the starter wasn't turning.  Once I got that straightened out,
it has worked well.  I was a little concerned about the fact that the
Bendix on the stock starter spins in from the clutch side of the flywheel
while the geared starter spins in from the engine side.  There is no bevel
on the engine side of the flywheel gear.  I have not heard of anyone
flipping the ring gear around just to accomodate the geared starter.  It
seems to be working fine as is.   It sounds different than the stock
starter - something like a turbine engine winding up.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031