RE: Gear Reduction Starter

To: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Gear Reduction Starter
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:10:35 -0600
Hi All, I think the GRS use a "pre-engaged" gear concept such that the
gear is flung into mesh with the flywheel just an instant before the
armature begins to spin.  From time to time (read infrequently) mine
doesn't mesh and gives an audible click.  I just keep stabbing the start
button until it does mesh.  This is a small PITA if I need a quick
getaway but it usually doesn't happen.  At worst I've had to "rock" the
car in gear to move the flywheel just a tad.  Still, it's not enough
PITA to be troublesome.
Jack