Main / Rod Bearings, Crankshaft, Pistons & Sump Pan

To: Healey List <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Main / Rod Bearings, Crankshaft, Pistons & Sump Pan
From: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:05:43 -0800 (PST)
Hi Fellow Listers,

I'm in need of some help with engine knowledge.  I beg your forgiveness in
advance if my questions don't quite make sense or if I happen to leave out some
details.

The engine in my '60 BN7 has been pulled and the disassembly has begun.  The
main bearings and rod bearings need to be replaced.  In looking at the Moss
catalog I notice that the main bearing set comes in multiple sizing options
including STD, .010, .020, .030, and .040 as do the rod bearing sets.  There is
no indication of matching a specific size to a year/model application.  Can
someone help me understand how the sizing is determined or how one determines
the appropriate sizing for an engine?

I'm told by my rebuilder that the crankshaft is severely scored and that I
should find out if it's salvageable next week when it and the rest of the
engine go to the machine shop.  In the meantime I am looking for a suitable
replacement.  Looking at potential sources like Moss and DW - WOW!!!!!   @$%#$%
OUCH!!!!!!  Anyone  have an extra crank lying around in good shape and willing
to part with?  Any suggestions on sourcing this are also greatly appreciated.

It's not raining - it's pouring... The pistons and rods may also need to be
replaced.  Again any suggestions on sourcing and/or if anyone has a complete
set willing to part with is greatly appreciated.

I need to replace my sump pan as well.  The original one I have is severely
dented.  Some PO has attempted to braze the holes in the past.  I'm looking for
a replacement.  What are the advantages (besides weight) on the Alum ones
versus the original ones?  Sources?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Carlos Cruz