More Specifics on Main / Rod Bearings

To: Healey List <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: More Specifics on Main / Rod Bearings
From: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:53:47 -0800 (PST)
Thanks to all that responded so far.  I appreciate the input.  The crankshaft
is currently fitted with a Vanderbuilt Main Bearing.  We have been unable to
cross reference this bearing with anything that might offer some insight to
what machining if any has been previously done by a PO.

It's my understanding that the bearings are typically stamped with the size
like .030 or .040.  Knowing this up front might save me the hassle of having
the maching shop mic it.  In that knowning the bearing is already .040 tells me
I'm looking at a crank that can't be salvaged and need a new one.

Unfortunately this Vanderbuilt bearing has no such markings.  Is it safe to
assume that the bearing is of standard (STD) in size?  Does anyone have
experience with these Vanderbuilt bearings?  I very much want to believe that
the lack of markings does indicate STD and take some comfort that the machine
shop can salvage the crank.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Carlos "Patiently waiting for the fun part to begin" Cruz