Transmission rebuild

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission rebuild
From: "James E Austin, Jr." <ahbugeye1@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:36:12 -0500
In reassembling the bell housing to the transmission, I discovered I
didn't have a spring bearing plate(AEC3183) as called for in the
mechanical service parts list.  This round  plate fits in a cavity in the
bell housing and between the drive gear bearing.  There is also two
bearing shims called for( A/R) which I have.   I have not been able to
find a source for the spring bearing plate and was wondering if there is
a source, and if  it is really required.  With the packing shims being
called for, it looks like you are trying to obtain a certain clearance.
The amount of the drive gear bearing that protrudes out of the
transmission beyond the circlip and the thickness of the shims, looks
like it will fill the cavity without the bearing plate.   Could someone
shed some light on this and if it is a certain clearance that you are
trying to obtain, what is it and how do you measure it.
Thanks,
Sam Austin