Re: Transmission rebuild

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission rebuild
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:03:36 -0500
Hi, Sam -

You are rebuilding a BJ8 gearbox, yes?  BJ8 gearboxes do not use the AEC3183
spring bearing plate.  That is for BJ7 'boxes.

The stackup of shims, etc. is intended to make sure that there is a positive
pressure on the gearbox front main bearing outer race when the bellhousing is
clamped up, to minimize the possibility of the outer race turning.  The goal
is to have the thickness of the bearing and shims to be just a bit greater
than the depth of the bearing recess.  I found it a bit hard to measure the
recess depth (the front bearing broke up and gouged the recess in the
bellhousing), so I used the two shims that were already there and cut another
one out of a paint thinner can to make sure that the new bearing was clamped
up.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry