BJ Auction and TV version of same

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BJ Auction and TV version of same
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:19:50 EST
Glancing through the BJ catalog that one of our Donut Derelicts brought on
Saturday, the offerings were a little better balanced than what Craig chose to
sell during the time the broadcasts were on the air, and what they chose to
show in between the commercials -- I clocked a little of it, and was coming up
with about 2/3 auction and 1/3 commercials in a thirty minute period. (That
CERTAINLY sucked.)
One important thing going on this year: Jackson refused to accept any cars
from buyers who wanted a reserve. Which meant that if the car came in way below
the seller's expectations, his only recourse was to buy the car back, paying
the sixteen percent commission, plus the initial placement fee and incidental
expenses.
Lots, and lots, and lots of modern mod-rods, clearly influenced by the silly
money that bought the "Lincoln Zephyr" last year. Bet those guys don't bring
their cars back next year, which may bring things more into balance.
The coverage this year was way worse than last year. Sticking Decadent on the
stage, a Brit who specializes in sports cars to comment on one after another
hot-rodded Chevy was a complete waste, and I was amazed that Yates and Martin
seemed to have so little to add to the info.
Another interesting note. They specifically noted that the information
presented   in support of the car is not checked out by the auction company and
is
completely the responsibility of the seller. So you could take your plain
vanilla 100   there, and call it a super-rare 100S raced by Stirling and Graham
in
the 55 LeMans and they would put it in the so-called catalog and read it out
when the car came across the block. And all the announcers would comment on
would be the quality of the metallic in the paint and the choice of color shade.
I'm sure the experience was better in person, but I'm glad I had TIVO so I
only wasted about two hours this weekend watching it.
Cheers
Gary