Re: break in oil

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: break in oil
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:38:58 -0600
I've had a couple of personal replies and thought I'd catch it all in one
fell swoop....

Dupont filiments developed this technology of soft honing that is used on
virtually all bores associated with the automotive industry today.... it's
been around for 10 or 15 yrs...

The idea is that when a Stone hones the bore to the final measurement if you
looked at the bore microscopically you would see Peaks and Valleys.... the
last hone actually knocks off the peaks and lays them over into the vally
creating a smooth surface to the eye... but the peak is still there and
acutally is what you see in the side of pistons once the motor has been
run..... ( that black stuff inbedded in the side )  Also what get is a very
abrasive material that the rings needed to clean out and that is what scored
the rings on start up.....

This new style of honing filiment looks like a series of brushes ( kinda
dark gray color )... and what it does is clean out those peaks that were
imbedded in the valleys so they don't create damage to the new engine on
start up.... hence you don't wear out a brand new set of rings anymore...

That's the theory....  check with your local machine shop to see what the
process they use is...

Keith (your milage may vary )