Targa '65 Again

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Targa '65 Again
From: Joe Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:50:10 +1100
Guys
I almost forgot that the 'works' Healey raced ARX 91B was used by Eion
Young to attempt his English drivers license test--------- he failed!!!!

Who is Mr. Young you ask ? Born in N.Z. he went to UK with Bruce McLaren
, who was to become a works Cooper F1 driver. He became McLaren's
personal manager and when the McLaren F1 team was started Young was the
PR officer. He also wrote a syndicated column on F1 during the 60's 70's
and80's. He wrote a book on McLaren and two on his own  life in F1 - 'It
Beats Working ' and 'It Still Beats Working '
Why do I go on about Mr. McLaren ? He raced a 100 in NZ before going to
Europe.
Donald Healey used him to race a Sprite in the Saturday Sebring 4 Hour
race.
Arx91B and the driving test was written up in the 'Sports Car World '
mag. published in Australia only. One of the few test and impressions
written at the time I think Young had the Healey for the weekend just
after the Targa.
During the Targa which was 44 mile per lap the Healey required a new set
of tyres each 2 laps along with a refuel.
Look carefully and you will see that the 'film' car is different to the
race car.

Joe

P.S . The answer from yesterdays mail was,   yes I have heard of
Stirling Moss and was lucky enough to have had a discussion with him
concerning Healeys at an historic race meeting in Sydney Australia. But
thats for another day.

Todays question is,  can I drag this out longer than 'Friday funnies' ?
I do feel I will need some help so feel free to join in;
those from NZ
historic racers
those that have attended Sebring
and anyone that has read a good book on Healey history [ now that will
test 'em. ]