Three or Four speed BN-1 tranny

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Three or Four speed BN-1 tranny
From: "Charley Braum" <cbaustin@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:33:53 -0500
    Thanks to an off-list contact, and a phone call, I now have the answer to
my (and other's) question about this subject.

    Anyone else want to know, I'll try to describe it here, but if a fax would
suit you better, please contact me directly.

    On the 3 speed gearbox blowup in Moss's catalog, part number 90 (Gate,
shifter) has a vertical flange and a horizontal gate section. The 'forward'
(left side in drawing) part of the gate is thick with a small 'hook' at the
end. The 'rearward' (right side in drawing) part has a thinner protrusion with
no hook at the end.
     ** Approximately one half ( 1/2 ) of the width of the rearward gate is
removed to allow access to 'first gear'. **
    NOTE: If too much is removed, you may be able to access two gears at the
same time which might ruin your day.
    I was told to trim it and try it until it works correctly. These parts are
apparently somewhat available if you get heavy handed.

    I for one would like to thank Eric Grunden at "Absolutely British" for
this information - please don't bury him with questions that may have been
answered above or those that I might address with a return fax!

    Regards,
                                                        CB