Re: Six Cylinder Engine Questions - Filter priming?.

To: tomfelts@earthlink.net, cjerryadams@yahoo.com, rnbmail@yahoo.com,
Subject: Re: Six Cylinder Engine Questions - Filter priming?.
From: GLWilkieAlaska@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:17:38 EST
Hi Listers,

Sorry I didn't respond to all your suggestions as promptly as I should have,
but I have been out of state with work.

The BMC Workshop Manual clearly instructs to "prime the filter" when fitting
a new oil filter element, but sadly doesn't go into any detail of how this
should be done.

>From the responses, I have learned that this can be done a couple of ways:

1. Priming the element once it is placed into the filter bowl, and then bolt
the primed assembly to the block. (Sounds potentially messy, but that's
exactly what the manual implies should be done.)

2. The other option is to instal the dry oil filter assembly to the block,
and then prime the new filter while bolted to the block. This can be achieved
by
disconnecting the wire from the coil, and then cranking the engine for a few
seconds at a time. When the oil pressure gauge starts to flicker, oil has
reached the main oil gallery, downstream from the (now primed) filter. The
subsequent start up, should give almost instant oil pressure.

I intend to try both methods over time, and see which I find the easiest.

I do believe that a new dry oil filter element should be primed, whichever
way you go about it, prior to starting the engine. I hadn't been doing that
before, but will be from now on.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Graham Wilkie.
HBJ8L / 32382