Re: Ebay BJ8

To: "Healey" <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ebay BJ8
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:35:43 -0500
Greg -

As I said, it was a "purely biased view".

All car dealers are in the business to make a profit, not to collect data for
a registry.  I know that, and it isn't a surprise to me when a dealer doesn't
want or "have time" to support a registry.

What is surprising to me is how many people and companies professionally
involved in buying and selling Healeys are perfectly willing to provide the
identifying details of a car and its history even when they know I'm keeping a
registry and not a customer.  There are quite a few of this type around,
thankfully.  Personal opinion, but I think it makes a statement about a dealer
as to which camp he puts himself.

This is purely circumstantial evidence, but it's still there:  one of those
who is reluctant to provide data to the registry was also the apparent common
point for two cars that now have their identities scrambled.  The two cars
were pretty much identical, except that the customer in the foreign country
wanted chrome wires on the car he bought (it didn't have them), while the one
he didn't buy did have chrome wires.  Was it easier to remove the screws from
the VIN plate and switch them than it was to install new chrome wires?  And
yes, I realize that not everyone who is reluctant to support a registry is
willing to do something shady, but as a Healey enthusiast, it does make me
wonder, sorry.

In the case of the St. Louis dealer, I'm pretty sure that nobody else has
asked, or will ask him for VIN/body/engine numbers off his cars for any
registry except for me, so I don't see providing that data on the BJ8s that
come through his shop is a significant additional workload.  It doesn't seem
to be for others.

In summary, my assessment is:  you're a Healey/British car enthusiast who
sells cars, or you're merely a dealer in it only for all the profit you can
make.

Just my opinion, you understand.

By the way, the BJ8 registry has a record of prior ownership on the Hyman BJ8
with the Phase 1 console/armrest, so a potential buyer could get in touch to
find out more of the story on that, if he/she wanted to.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC