Austin Healey shroud repair panels

To: ModifiedHealeys <Modifiedhealeys@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Austin Healey shroud repair panels
From: Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:47:21 -0800 (PST)
One of our club members has offered me a set of repair
panels (from Moss) at a fraction of what Moss charges.
The reason for the sale is that the shop that is
carrying out the restoration says 1)they can't make
the repair panels fit  2) They are unsure about the
metallurgy of the repair panels vs the original shroud
and what type of welding rod to use...etc.
My BJ8's shroud needs to be rebuilt as it has
sustained accident damage in the past (previous
owners) and the idea of buying these repair panels at
a discount is very appealing. I am speculating that
this repair shop doesn't have the level of expertise
to handle rebuilding a Healy aluminium shroud which
seems to be the providence of "panel beaters".
I know of a gentleman in the Dallas area that could
probably build an entire Healey body from scrach but I
have no idea what he would charge to repair a shroud.
What is the commom wisdom on the list when it comes to
repairing a shroud? 1)Have a master "panel beater"
repair the shroud using repair panels or 2)Buy a good
used shroud or 3) Have a master "panel beater"  do all
the repair including making the needed repair panels.
I look forward to reading your comments.
Jorge Garcia
Houston, TX
1965 BJ8

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250