Re: Rear Suspension--teflon tape

To: Keith Pennell <pennell@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Suspension--teflon tape
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:27:45 -0800
The replacement springs don't have the zinc. The idea is to remove the
friction between the leaves as the spring operates, so the shock absorber
does _all_ the shock absorbing. It makes the rear end less harsh.

My buddy used teflon window-glide channel on his car and I've always been
impressed by its ride compared to my old rusty springs. I couldn't find it
so did a google search for teflon tape and came up with the 2" wide stuff
used in sail racing to make the masts fast and easy to ship. 1 (18-yard if I
remember correctly) roll is enough for your springs with leftovers.

I disassembled my new springs and wire-brushed the residual paint off the
inter-leaf areas so they'd be perfectly smooth, then applied the tape to one
surface only.
--
Steve Gerow