RE: Wire wheels.

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wire wheels.
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:30:21 -0000
I had 48 spoke wheels on my first MkII, years ago when it was only about 10
yrs old. I'd say that they'd seen some action, as had the rest of the car.
(In (Much)worse order then than my current one is now!). The wheels were not
good. I had the car in Dublin (S.Ireland), where there was then a very high
duty on imported parts. I was a student on a limited budget, so a 3000 was a
daft choice of a car. The spokes creaked and groaned on one particular wheel
which eventually collapsed - slowly and rather gracefully, thus safely -
before I raised the money to get it fixed. My conclusion at the time was
that they were the weakest link in my system.
I have 60 spokes now and wouldn't go back to 48s ever.
Simon