Re: Heater control tap on block

To: "Don" <don@anglesey.us>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heater control tap on block
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:30:38 -0500
Don,
I removed mine, undid the pin, and the core of the valve slides right out. -It
is slightly cone shaped, and is just a spring pressure fit that makes the
seal. -I just very lightly polished the interior surfaces, applied a very
light film of lithium grease, and reassembled. It works fine.  -I even made a
replacement brass handle for it using a drill as a lathe--because you are
right, the replacements are a bit expensive.
Others may well have a better lubricant / sealant than the lithium grease to
suggest. I'm sure there are things specifically for the application in your
hardware store's plumping section. Of course, if the internals are
significantly corroded, then you may still have a problem.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA